Welcome to my blog! My name is Owen and the purpose of this blog is to archive my progress in my quest to hike the New Hampshire 48.
The New Hampshire 48, also known as the White Mountain 48, are the 48 peaks in New Hampshire that rise over 4,000 feet above sea level.
For more information, click here.
48 for 48. Mission Complete!
To see earlier entries, be sure to click the "Older Posts" button at the bottom of each page.
I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences and I hope that they inspire others to take on challenges of their own, whatever those may be.
Questions/comments are always welcome: owenhikes@yahoo.com

Monday, July 13, 2009

Prologue: Katahdin

July 13, 2009
I was first introduced to mountain hiking when a college friend invited me on a trip to Maine's back-country to climb the legendary Katahdin.

Katahdin is the center-piece of Baxter State Park.  Although, at 5,260 feet above sea-level, it is not the tallest mountain in the northeast, it has attained fame for several other reasons.  Katahdin is the tallest mountain in the state of Maine and it is the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, a hiking trail stretching from Georgia to Maine.  This means it is either the first challenge for south-bound hikers, or the final pinnacle for north-bound hikers on the Appalachian Trail.  Its craggy appearance is striking and has resulted in it being referred to as "the only Western mountain in the East" by some.
For me, Katahdin was my first real experience hiking, and it was certainly a viable challenge.
We camped at Abol Campground at the base of the mountain in the days leading to the ascent.  The morning we were set to hike, I laid and listened as rain-drops pattered against the rain-flap of my tent.  I knew my friend, a tent away, was waiting and thinking the same thought: had we really come all this way to have the weather turn for the worst?
Finally, I rose from my tent and realized we had come here for a purpose, and a little rain wasn't going to keep us from achieving that goal.  As soon as I unzipped my tent, I stepped outside and realized it wasn't actually raining.  The trees were just dripping from rain during the night.  I informed my friend, we dressed and prepared for the hike ahead of us, and we started up Abol Trail at 6:55am.
Mountain hiking was a new experience for both of us.  In hindsight, Katahdin was definitely the best place to start.  We soon left the cover of the trees and the trail became a steep slide up Katahdin.  The slide required both arms and legs, and with every step the views became more incredible.  The motivation for each step and pull became the knowledge that every bit of effort we exerted was bringing us to a more spectacular view than the moment before.

Ironically, the weather turned out to be surprisingly good for hiking.  Conquering each rock was invigorating as we climbed higher than even the clouds.

After a commendable climb, always pushing further upward, we arrived at a level plain known as the Tableland.  We were also entirely engulfed in a cloud, which for whatever reason I found to be incredibly exciting and rewarding.

We set off across the Tableland toward the highest peak, Baxter Peak.
Finally, after all that climbing and trekking, we arrived at the summit marker.


As if climbing my first real mountain wasn't rewarding enough, moments after we arrived at the summit, the clouds broke giving us spectacular views for miles.

After taking in the views and snacking at the summit, we began the journey down.  We descended via the Hunt Spur which is part of the Appalachian Trail.

The trail was a narrow ridge stretching far away into the trees below.  It was completely exposed, and to be completely honest, a little bit intimidating.  The clear views were well worth the risk, and we took our time as we descended from Katahdin's summit a mile in the sky.
The feeling of accomplishment was monumental after we reached the bottom.  Katahdin remains my favorite hike of all time, as well as the hike which offered some of the most dramatic views I've seen in my entire life.  Katahdin was challenging yet still within reach.  It was the first of many for me, and I look forward to returning in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment