 |
| Looking up at Mt. Garfield's summit from the south |
I have visited the White Mountains on three separate occasions since I "bagged" the Twins and Galehead over a month ago, but on none of those trips did I pursue any of my remaining four-thousand foot peaks. What could anyone possibly be doing in the Whites that doesn't involve chasing lists? On one visit my mom and I climbed Mt. Willard, a 2800-foot peak in Crawford Notch that offers perhaps the best view in the forest for the minimal effort required; on another visit my brother and I climbed to Glen Boulder and up to Boott Spur (a subpeak of Mt. Washington), where we wandered around and enjoyed the alpine zone; and finally I camped in the shadow of the Presidential Range before spending a day exploring the rugged and wild Mahoosuc Mountains that stretch into Maine. Best of all, on none of these visits did I feel any regret for passing up the opportunity to bag 4000-footers. Pursuing the 48 brings structure to my hiking, but it was nice to get away from the list for a while to assure myself I was still enjoying hiking for the bliss that the mountains bring and not getting caught up in a game.
With a hopeful forecast this Saturday, it seemed like an opportune time to get back to work on my list before I move down to Pennsylvania in a few weeks.
The entrance to Gale River Loop Road is rather discreet. Coming from Franconia Notch, if you find yourself crossing the bridge over the Gale River, you've gone too far. There isn't much to say about the Garfield Trail itself. I was surprised at how moderate this trail is - the grade is reasonable for almost the entire length of the ascent and there are few rocky sections until you reach higher elevations. As far as trails to 4000-footers go, this might be about as good as it gets. At the junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail, the ascent becomes significantly rockier and steeper, but the summit is only two-tenths of a mile away, so the climb isn't terrible.
After a hot ascent, the strong gusts at the summit were a treat, but even more so were the jaw-dropping 360 degree views.
 |
| Franconia Ridge towering to the southwest |
 |
| Adams, Jefferson, Clay, and Washington rising above North Twin |
I don't want to speak too soon and proclaim the end of black fly season, but we weren't bothered by any at all, perhaps due to the winds. We chatted with the many others out enjoying the mountains on such a beautiful day. Although I expected the views to be hazy today, it turned out to be a pretty clear day. We could see all the way to Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield in Vermont.
We spent time eating, drying out, looking through the binoculars, and just relaxing. While naming peaks, one particularly sharp peak rising just behind the Bondcliffs seemed to perplex everyone within earshot. Our best guess was Chocorua, but I have yet to consult the map.
 |
| South Twin, Galehead Hut, and Galehead Mountain |
 |
| Mt. Bond, West Bond, and Bondcliff with Mt. Carrigain at center (distant) |
 |
| Westward view toward Vermont's Green Mountains |
 |
| North Kinsman and Cannon Mountain peeking over the north flank of Mt. Lafayette |
After lounging for an hour, it was time to head down. The only bummer about Mt. Garfield is that the trail is completely in the trees until reaching the summit (meaning no views for our descent). We took one last good look around at the killer views, then dove into the trees. Good conversation made the descent fly by and before we knew it we were back at the cars. What a day!
Nice! Congrats on #33. Perfect way to put an exclamation point one your road trip. Sure must have been a relief to check another one off your list after all those recent 'wasted' peaks. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI know! So many wasted days! ;)
DeleteThanks for checking it out.
Hi Owen:
ReplyDeleteNice report - makes me want to get to Garfield soon - so far I've ascended three of the biggies: Moosilauke, Lafayette and Washington. I think the peak peeking over Bondcliff was probably Chocorua - the Garfield View Guide in The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains says it appears to Bondcliff's right.
Your and Mark's blogs, and some other fine peakbagging blogs for the Whites, inspire and educate me as I venture northward and upward. Thanks so much - and good luck with your move!
Best,
Chris Stratton/Arkie, West Hartford, CT
Hi Chris,
DeleteThanks for checking out my blog and taking the time to reply, and thanks for the confirmation of Chocorua.
The three "biggies" you've ascended are some of the best in the Whites! Another one of the best hikes for views (and probably my favorite at this point) is the Twins.
I'm glad to read that this blog, along with other great White Mountain blogs, has been of inspiration and use to you. Best of luck with your own adventures!
See you on the trails.
Owen
Thanks for the great trip report ! It's nice to read someone else's view on a particular hike. My husband and I hiked Garfield a couple weeks ago on a mini vacation. I have 15 so far and am going back in August for some more mountain peaks :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the response, Anonymous! Isn't Garfield just a great place to sit?
DeleteHave a blast when you make it back to the mountains later this summer!
Great report. I am hoping to do Garfield at some point over the next month. I hiked Moosilauke on this same day, and we were also suprised at the lack of black flies!
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work on your blog, I enjoy reading about all of your trips!
tomhikesthewhites.blogspot.com
Hi Tom - Great blog! Thanks for taking the time to respond to this. Good luck with Garfield and the rest of your peaks!
DeleteOwen, as with all your reports, they are delightful to read, and are supplemented with great photos that enhance the narrative. It's great to read in your report that you're a well-rounded hiker and can find pleasure from hiking to destinations other than the 4K peaks.
ReplyDeleteNow, what's this about you moving to Pennsylvania? Is this old news that I missed reading about in one of your other reports??
Congratulations on completing #33 in your quest for the NH48!
John
I've been back and forth between PA and New England far more than I'd prefer since before I started this blog. I just graduated from college in PA and will be starting a full-time job in Harrisburg next week! But don't worry, my drive will be significantly longer, but I still plan to frequent the Whites. :)
DeleteA big double congratulations to you Owen, i.e. college graduation + landing a full-time job.
DeleteI’ll look forward to other Blog reports from you, regardless of whether they are a result of hikes in the Whites, or in PA.
John
What a great hike - the views from Garfield on a nice day are certainly worth the trek up through the trees or over the ridge!
ReplyDeletewww.nh48.wordpress.com
Thanks Summerset. Garfield's location lends to extremely unique views unlike those of even its closest neighbors.
DeleteHi Owen! Great blog! My boyfriend and I just started our 48 peak adventure (http://foreveryuphill.blogspot.com/). We've got 2 under our belt and are preparing for a long weekend up there to tackle one (or a few more). We're trying to decide if we want to do Mt. Washington and get it off our list while the weather is supposed to be nice, or we were considering Madison/Adams... after reading about your experience at Adams, though, maybe we'll hold off on that. :-) Granted, you went in winter.... Anyways, these blogs have been so helpful so far. How do you pick the order in which you do these? -- Jenna
ReplyDeleteHi Jenna,
DeleteThanks for commenting! I'll be checking out your blog as soon as I finish typing this comment.
In case you are unaware, the Seek the Peak event will be going on at Mt. Washington this weekend, so there will probably be A LOT of people there (this may be a good or bad thing depending on what you prefer). Madison/Adams will probably be more manageable this time of year than when I went...just make sure you go on a clear day, because the views are phenomenal!
In terms of choosing my next peaks - I actually try not to plan too much. I wait for good weather and then just go to whichever peak appeals to me at that time. I have plans for my final 4 peaks, but other than that it's pretty spontaneous.
Good luck with your own adventures!
Owen:
ReplyDeleteI've been following your posts since I started hiking the 48 last Oct (2011). Just went back and read some of your old post. I especially liked the one on Adams/Madison. I'm saving Madison for my last 48. Hopefully this winter, but hopefully less wind and low temps then you had. I was wondering why I hadn’t seen any recent posts, and now see that you graduated from college and took a job in Penn. Congrats on both. Hope to see more of your posts in the future but understand that that’s a long commute to hike (I thought RI was bad). Good luck on your new Job.