Welcome to my blog! My name is Owen and the purpose of this blog is to archive my progress in my quest to hike the New Hampshire 48.
The New Hampshire 48, also known as the White Mountain 48, are the 48 peaks in New Hampshire that rise over 4,000 feet above sea level.
For more information, click here.
48 for 48. Mission Complete!
To see earlier entries, be sure to click the "Older Posts" button at the bottom of each page.
I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences and I hope that they inspire others to take on challenges of their own, whatever those may be.
Questions/comments are always welcome: owenhikes@yahoo.com

Sunday, March 31, 2013

March 31, 2013: Mt. Passaconaway (#34)


Who could ask for better weather for a Easter/Birthday/First-hike-to-4000-feet-since-June hike?

It has been a very long time since I have hiked to 4,000 feet -- nine months to be exact.  It has been a struggle to get back, but that is not what I will focus on in this journal.  The purpose of this blog is to share stories of overcoming obstacles, not to focus on the struggle itself.

It was a great feeling to walk down the dirt path of Ferncroft Road toward pastoral scenes of farmhouses dwarfed by giant mountains.  There was no bite to the air and I immediately stripped off my jacket and hiked in only a long-sleeve layer all the way to the summit.  There was patchy snow along the side of the road, but spring was certainly in the air.

After passing the final farmhouse via the private landowner's driveway (hikers welcome), I entered the woods on Dicey's Mill Trail.  The snow was firm all the way to the top, with little risk of post-holing -- perfect for Microspikes.

The grade of the trail was reasonable and pleasant as it ascended toward the Natural Bowl - a large cirque between Mt. Whiteface and Mt. Passaconaway that has never been stripped by logging (quite unique in the White Mountains).

After the only major water crossing of the day, the trail quickly changed character and began the climb in earnest.  At times like this I find myself thinking that the authors of guidebooks were too lenient in their descriptions of steep trails...this was a serious climb!  The trail was unrelenting as it made a straight-shot toward the summit of Mt. Passaconaway.  The challenge was welcome as I began to sweat, repeating my mantra for the day: "Slow and steady..."

The final pitch to the summit was dishearteningly steep.  At times the angle was such that you could reach out in front of yourself and touch the trail.  The snowpack was so high that I often needed to duck down to avoid getting caught in tree branches that are normally far above the trail.  As is usual on 4,000-foot mountains, you can tell you are approaching the top when the trees grow shorter and become gnarled by the wind.  I pushed upward until I was standing at the spectacular north outlook, which was so much more rewarding following the difficult climb.
The Tripyramids dominate the foreground, with several 4,000-footers beyond
South Tripyramid with Waterville  Valley Ski Area (Mt. Tecumseh) and the shoulder of Mt. Moosilauke beyond
South and Middle Tripyramid, with Mt. Tecumseh and Mt. Moosilauke in the background
North Tripyramid, with the Osceolas directly to the right (middle distance), and South Kinsman on the far right (most distant)
Franconia Ridge gaining elevation as one follows it's spine north (Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette)
Looking beyond Mt. Hancock to the jumble of peaks in the Bonds/Twin Range
As is usual, Mt. Carrigain has an impressive presence (notice the narrow Carrigain Notch to the right of the mountain)
The parallel structure of the pointed peaks is notable (Mt. Anderson, Mt. Willey, Mt. Webster)
After catching my breath, eating lunch, and tagging the true (and unimpressive) summit of Passaconaway, I went in search of an additional viewpoint.  In a blow-down patch along the Walden Trail, I post-holed surprisingly deep into the snowbank (above my waist).

I found a sign labeled "View" pointing down an unbroken trail.  I made a few steps down the trail, but since the view I had just left was stunning enough, and because I was heading downhill with no indication of a view, I decided to abort that plan.  On closer inspection, the words "No. 0.5 miles" had been carved into the sign under the word "View".  I also noticed "It's worth it" carved into the sign, but I let the temptation pass since I was content with my views so far.

I continued a few feet further down the Walden Trail and came out on a ledge with a stunning view of the Presidential Range.

The Presidential Range  looks very compact from this perspective, culminating to the glorious Mt. Washington
Mt. Chocorua is always a fun mountain to look at
Good to be back...14 to go!
After a relaxing hour above 4,000 feet, I began my descent.  The trail was so steep it was hard to descend without sliding.  At one point, I fell down and ended up butt-sliding probably a hundred feet down the trail.  After that, I butt-slid whenever possible.  The trip down was leisurely and I noticed many boot-prints full of snow fleas - a sure sign of spring.

I walked the final few tenths of a mile on the dirt road back to the car and breathed a breath of relief.  Victory.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Owen! Glad to see you get back up there. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Owen on #34. I enjoyed reading your report.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the Whites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding pictures Owen! Congrats on #34!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed this last post until just now, glad to see your back hiking the whites. nice posting

    ReplyDelete